About the Universe
- The Universe is about 13.7 billion years old. Before the Universe sprang into existence there was nothing; emptiness, silence & time didn't exist. Trying to imagine this can scramble the mind, so let's move quickly on to when there was something.
- In the first moment of time, the Universe was infinitely solid, small & hot. This was where all the materials that would make everything you see in the Universe today were stored. It was many times smaller
than a speck of dust.
- This tiny clump of materials started to expand outwards. Its contents spread, like a cloud of dust, rapidly & evenly across the space opening up around it. The spreading slowed down, but it never completely stopped.
- The Universe is still expanding today
- A new thing, which we now call TIME, had begun.
- Over time the swirling, spreading dust started to clump together until stars, planets and moons were formed. This took millions of years.
- If you're wondering what sort of glue you need to stick a universe together well it's not glue at all, but gravity & the other forces of nature.
The Universe is really BIG ....
The Universe is made up of 100 billion galaxies. The galaxy we live in is called the Milky Way. The Milky Way has 200 billion stars in it. Each star has its own solar system, where the star is orbited by planets, moons & asteroids. Our solar system has 9 planets, of which Earth is one. The other planets, in order of distance from the Sun are Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Cyres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, & Neptune. There are also 4 dwarf planets: Pluto, Haunea, Makemake, Eris. (If you're interested in this You may like our Solar System Placemat)
Everything you see is made of different combinations of Elements stuck together. The Universe is Everything there is & it stretches far beyond what you can see.
But wasn't there a BIG BANG? ...
The big bang signifies the very beginning of time. There was no BANG at the big bang! As far as onomatopoeias* go it’s not the right one for this instant. The BIG SHUSH may have been a better one! Sound needs something to travel through & there was nothing there.
If you're interested DOWNLOAD OUR FREE FACT SHEET & find out more facts & complete the Quiz
page 1 of 1
page 1 of 1