A Green & Ethical business
At Ethcial Kidz we believe that being a Green & Ethical business is a way of life rather than a "jumping on the bandwagon" marketing campaign. We also believe that being Green & Ethical does not need to be complicated.
It involves adopting your own set of green practices, as well as sharing useful information with other individuals & businesses.
We’re not perfect yet, but that is our goal! We aim to adopt green & ethical practices in every aspect of our business, not just those that are visible to the public.
Some of the things we’re doing so far…
- We switch it off when we’re not using it
- We don’t use it unless we need it
- We favour a sustainable source (solar panels to heat our water, & wood-burner to heat us, using wood grown locally or on our own land)
- We insulate our building
- We only travel when necessary; we drive efficient cars & share lifts; we do not fly
- We try not to create it
- We buy in bulk
- We only use paper when necessary
- We do not produce excessive marketing materials, or a catalogue
- We reuse it (e.g. all of our packaging is reused)
- We ensure that as much as possible of our waste is biodegradable or recyclable
- We compost & recycle
- We use both sides of our 100% recycled paper
- We drink fairtrade coffee & tea
- We drink tap water (bottled water is banned – it costs more than petrol per litre! And is essentially tap water anyway)
- Food is either local, organic or fairtrade & is mostly made at home; we avoid processed food.
- We are learning to grow our own vegetables (unsuccessfully so far!)
- We consider & review what we do & the impact it may have on the environment & society
- We are aware of what we don’t know & aim to fill this gap by learning more (hence the vegetables!)
- We encourage others to be more environmentally friendly & try not to be too bossy about it!
- We share information and resources
- We want to support & be part of the local community
- We want to raise funds for charitable activities
- We recognise that our customers are our community
Finance & infrastructure
- We pay our invoices by BACS reducing unnecessary paper & fuel to post
- We favour electronic records over paper
- We encourage our suppliers to reduce unnecessary paperwork
- We are open and transparent
- We are a company with charitable aims
- We look for suppliers with solid environmental & ethical business practices
- We always consider a local supplier first
- We constantly review our suppliers & move towards those with the most robust environmental & ethical practices
- We look for inspirational & innovative ideas and products