A Short Guide to Sustainable Living
We should all be taking steps (however small they may seem just now) towards protecting our environment. Reducing the amount of waste we create is one of the biggest things we can do for our environment. We hope, with your help, to reduce the constant stream of non-biodegradable waste we send to landfill polluting our soil.
What can you do to look after the environment?
It's really easy
- Reduce the amount of stuff you throw away
- Reuse - buy reusable items & be inventive with waste…
- Recycle - ensure everything that can be recycled is recycled
Did you know?
...in Britain we use 15 million plastic bottles a day and only 3% of these are recycled. Recycling one plastic bottle can save enough energy to power an electric light for 6 hours - now multiply that by 97% of 15 million.......that gives you over 87 millions hours of wasted light! Make your own drinks & carry them in reusable bottles. If you do buy drinks in plastic bottles recycle them!
Land fill is a last resort
If you must send something to landfill ensure it is compostable or biodegradable so that it decomposes quickly and doesn't leak toxic waste into our soil
Putting all of this into Practice -
- Don't drive so much, go places closer to home, walk, cycle, use public transport, avoid flying
- Save water, electricity, gas and oil wherever possible
- Insulate your home & use draft excluders
- Switch to wood fuel & other sustainable sources of energy such as wind, solar and hydro power
- Avoid highly processed, packaged goods - make your own sandwiches & snacks & take to school in reusable containers
- Eat less meat – cow farts are a large contributor to global warming - methane is a greenhouse gas
- Compost organic waste
- Grow your own vegetables & flowers (in the compost you've just made!)
- Collect rainwater in a butt & use it water plants
- Encourage wildlife in your garden & do your bit for biodiversity (start with a bird feeder!)
- Buy local (why? Less miles travelled)
- Buy Handmade or learn how to make your own (why? It reduces factory processes & CO2 emissions)
- Buy organic (why? It restricts use of artificial chemical pesticides & fertilisers – these chemicals poison farm workers: do you want them present in the soil food is grown in?)
- Buy biodegradable or compostable (why? creates decomposable waste & does not release toxins into the soil)
- Buy fair trade (why? Fair trade respects workers & encourages sustainable practices)
- Buy sustainable (why? It replaces what is taken from environment)
- Buy durable products that will last a long time (why? to reduce waste)
- Look after the stuff you buy, & then pass it on to be enjoyed by others or take it to your local charity shop to help raise money for good causes
- Be creative! find new ways to look after your environment
- Have fun & Enjoy your planet!
Think about everything you do & the effect it might be having on the environment & the people living in it